TSA Technical Series: Interior Considerations for Fire Safety
When we think of fire safety, the first image in our minds is often fire protection systems such as alarms and fire suppression such as sprinklers. But planning for fire safety also includes vital considerations around the use of materials, interior surfaces and finishes, and even the choice of door hardware and decorative elements. Understanding flame spread ratings, combustible vs. non-combustible, and how these are evaluated, are all critical in creating safe spaces that reduce the initiation and spread of fire. Making things even more challenging, architects in Canada are frequently provided fire test data from the USA which uses similar terminology yet have important differences that affect their application in a Canadian context.
Join us for a virtual lecture with Abbas Nanji of LRI Engineering Inc. as we break down some of these key interior considerations, while also explaining the reasons and methods behind the different classifications and ratings found in the fire and building code. During this lecture our speaker will cover a wide variety of topics including:
- Electric strikes, electromagnetic locks, and panic and security hardware
- Flame Spread Ratings/Smoke Developed Classifications
- Differences between Canadian and USA evaluations for Flame Spread and Smoke Development properties.
- What defines terms such as Combustible, Non-combustible, and Encapsulated Mass Timber Construction
- Permitted Interior Combustible Finishes including Minor Combustible Materials
- Flame Resistance/Decorative Materials including Drapes and Curtains
TSA MEMBERS: This event is free for TSA members using the discount code found in the TSA Bulletin and on your Member Dashboard! Not a member yet? Membership is open to everyone and you can join here (student memberships are free!).
OAA MEMBERS: This lecture is eligible for 1 OAA Structured Learning Hour. When registering, please include your full name as registered with the OAA to ensure your certificate of participation is credited properly. Please also include an email address you check frequently to ensure you receive our certificate in a timely manner.
When Tuesday, October 3, 2023, 12:00 - 1:00 PM EST
Where Online via Zoom
Cost $15+HST General Admission, FREE for TSA Members!
CEUs 1 Structured Learning Hour