An important part of the TSA’s mandate was to promote good fellowship through social intercourse, and from the beginning that has translated into discussions on important topics that were always accompanied by good food and drink. The TSA’s first meeting was held at 66 and 68 Yonge Street at Webb’s restaurant, May 29th, 1899. Webb’s spacious two-story dining hall welcomed all, but its reputation was built on the second floor private rooms where mostly men could play games, give speeches, listen to music and enjoy a drink.14 Ever since the first meeting of the TSA it was important to foster dialogue and communication while also involving the community. The TSA Archives include numerous invoices, cheques and invitations to parties hosted by the TSA at public venues ranging from the Art Gallery of Ontario to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. The TSA continues to host their yearly parties at various locations throughout the Toronto community, selected not only for their architectural merit but their impact on the public realm and role in the growth and intensification of the city.History Gallery
Illustration of Harry Webb’s restaurant at 66-68 Young street, Toronto, 1889.
TSA cocktail party invitation at the R.C.Y.C City Station, December 8, 1988. A casual affair after work to share a drink with fellow members.
(Top) AGO Corporate Membership Card for the TSA, May, 1984. (Bottom front and back) TSAs shared membership for all of the participating museums in North America, May 1984.
TSAs invitation of their Balmy Party July 5th, 1989, at the Balmy Beach Canoe Club.