OAA Webinar Series | An Indigenous Lens
11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Design through an Indigenous Lens explores the ways in which we, as Indigenous Peoples, approach the world. We will outline how the process of design and architecture can be improved though Indigenous Cultures, with an application for the contemporary society.
Learn about the Ideas regarding the design process, multi-generational households, “Universal Inclusivity”, urban agriculture, multi-service provider neighbourhoods, and the alternate goals for urban planning.
We will support all these ideas with a case study. Understanding Indigenous cultural knowledge can help push us towards designing and building in ways that foster healthier living.
1) The foundational components of the Indian Act.
2) The foundational components of Indigenous Architecture.
3) Learn the references to Universal Inclusivity.
4) Understand Indigenous Architecture in Practice.
Matthew Hickey, OAA, MRAIC, B.Des., B. Ed., M.Arch., LEED®AP
Matthew is Mohawk, Wolf Clan, from the Six Nations of the Grand River Reserve. Receiving his Masters of Architecture from the University of Calgary and his Bachelor of Design from the Ontario College of Art and Design, Matthew’s education continues to have a significant impact on his work. Practicing architecture at Two Row Architect, located on Six Nations, for 14 years, Matthew currently oversees design and development for the firm. Their core focus is Indigenous design and architecture, designing buildings, landscapes, and installations, on and off-reserve located all over Turtle Island.
OAA Members: $0
Non Members: $59 + HST
To register, click here
**Registration closes on June 16 at 11:59 PM**
1) An automatically generated confirmation will be emailed to you (once your registration goes through).
2) Please mark the time and date in your calendar.
3) The OAA will email the Zoom Access Link to you one-day prior.
4) OAA webinars are delivered via Zoom: Please check this Zoom Test Link or speak with your IT Consultant ahead of time, to ensure your device is compatible with Zoom. For technical concerns, please see the Zoom links for Technical Requirements and also their Download Centre.
5) Space is limited to 1000: If you are registered (but cannot attend the webinar), kindly submit a Registration Cancellation Request to OAAContinuingEducation@oaa.on.ca promptly and the OAA will release the spot.