OAA Webinar | Construction Act Prompt Payment & Adjudication: It’s Here!
11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
The lecture and slide presentation are tailored toward architects in their role as designer, prime consultant, and payment certifier, and address the impact on architectural practice of the changes to Ontario’s Construction Act.
The presentation will cover
- transition provisions and how they work;
- proper invoices;
- prompt payment;
- the new Construction Act forms;
- adjudication and the Ontario Adjudication for Construction Contracts (ODACC) process; and
- OAA document 600 indemnity language and scope and client indemnity and sub-consultant responsibility.
- Learn about the transition provisions and provisions under the Construction Act now in force as of October 1, 2019.
- Understand the impact prompt payment will have on the architect’s role.
- Understand the significance of adjudication, the process, and the Ontario Adjudication for Construction Contracts (ODACC).
- Learn what indemnity and sub-consultant provisions owners may seek to amend in OAA document 600—and why that matters to architects.
Andrew Heal, LLM, JD, BA (Hons)
Andrew Heal has practised law for nearly three decades, and is a partner with the Toronto-based law firm of Heal & Co.LLP, a boutique law firm specializing in construction law and related litigation matters more generally. He is certified as a Specialist in Construction Law by the Law Society of Ontario (LSO), and recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada and in Lexpert in the area of construction law. Over the years, Andrew has attended and spoken at many construction industry events across North America. He chairs the National Construction and Infrastructure Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association (CBA), and is a past chair of the Ontario Bar Association (OBA) Construction and Infrastructure Law Section. Heal & Co. LLP is an active member and sponsor of many construction industry associations, a member of the International Network of Boutique Law Firms (INBLF), and a Fellow of the Construction Lawyers Society of America.
Catherine DiMarco, LLB
Catherine DiMarco is a partner with the Toronto-based boutique law firm of Heal & Co. LLP. She has practised law for nearly 15 years, primarily dealing with construction claims and general civil litigation. Catherine is certified as a Specialist in Construction Law by the Law Society of Ontario (LSO), and she obtained the Osgoode Certificate in Construction Law in 2012. She is also an executive member of the Ontario Bar Association Construction and Infrastructure Law Section, and on the board of directors of the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) as well as its Executive Committee; she previously served a two-year term as a member of the board of directors of the Canadian Association of Women in Construction (CAWIC). Catherine’s practice encompasses many different sectors of the construction industry. She represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers, as well as design and engineering professionals, both on the claims side and in the defence of claims. Catherine has defended public authorities, including municipalities, in matters involving allegations of negligent design, supervision, and inspection.
OAA Architect, LTOAA $39 + HST
OAA Interns $29 + HST
Non-Members: $59 + HST
To register, click here.
** Registration will be closed on December 16 at 11:59 PM. **