New Opportunity: Virtual Tours Researcher
The Toronto Society of Architects is currently seeking a digitally-savvy, research-focused individual to assist in the development of new on-demand virtual tours as part of our 2021 summer programming. Working closely with the Programming Director and the volunteer Tours Initiative Lead, you will provide research and documentation support while participating in the development of three virtual tours reflecting this year’s theme: art and architecture. Tours will be shared via Instagram Story Highlights between May and August 2021 and follow a similar format to our 2020 waterfront series.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to apply their research and storytelling skills into a public awareness program that seeks to share the stories behind our built environment. You’ll have the opportunity to work with a small dynamic team of volunteers and staff and learn more about Toronto’s architecture. Work will be done on your schedule with limited meetings in the evenings or weekends.
Compensation and Duration
Project Duration: May – mid-July 2021
About the Toronto Society of Architects
Established in 1887, the Toronto Society of Architects (TSA) is a non-profit volunteer-led organization dedicated to bringing people together to discuss, learn and explore around our shared passion for the built environment.
We are committed to the betterment of our city and have played an important advocacy role throughout Toronto’s history. We do this through a wide range of programs which foster welcoming and inclusive forums for debate and the exchange of ideas, stimulating critical thinking about the design and building issues of our time. Our public programming is complemented by initiatives supporting the personal growth and professional development of close to 1900 TSA members. Membership is open to everyone and welcomes design professionals, students and the general public.
The TSA is a Society of the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA), which is the licensing and regulatory body that governs the practice of architecture in Ontario. Learn more about the TSA at www.torontosocietyofarchitects.ca
What you will be doing
- Research and curate possible tour stops, including verifying architectural credits, relevance to tour and assessment of current condition.
- Conduct walkthroughs of the proposed tour routes and participate in the image/video collection process.
- Coordinate external image/video acquisition with diverse groups, including archives, volunteer groups and architectural studios.
- Prepare custom graphic elements for inclusion in the tours, including maps, animations and short videos as required.
- Prepare storyboards of tours including development of the draft narrative, text elements and coordination of the feedback and editing process.
What are we looking for?
- Strong storytelling and research skills
- Effective written communication
- Highly organized and flexible; able to work independently to deadlines
- Knowledge of adobe creative suite, specifically Photoshop and Illustrator, and familiarity with Instagram. Video editing skills are a plus!
- An interest in architecture and public art are an asset
How to apply
Submit your resume and short cover letter explaining how you are interested in this year’s theme no later than Friday May 7, 2021 at 11:59 PM to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.