ACO Toronto Symposium: Toronto School Buildings AT RISK
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM
City Adult Learning Centre
1 Danforth Avenue
Continental breakfast and lunch provided.
The Architecture Conservancy of Ontario, Toronto chapter presents:
A full quarter of Toronto’s schools are in critical condition and require extensive renovations or replacement of core systems. Leaking roofs, broken boilers, and other symptoms of general neglect such as mold, rust, and asbestos are commonplace. While the city’s school buildings crumble, chronic underfunding and poor policy have caused a repair backlog of $3.7 billion, quickly increasing to a staggering $6 billion by 2020.
The gradual deterioration of Toronto’s schools threatens a significant portion of our city’s built heritage. The imminent demolition of Davisville Junior Public School signals a worrying trend in the city: school buildings are being allowed to deteriorate to the point of no return.
Presented by ACO Toronto Branch, Toronto School Buildings AT RISK: A Symposium in Three Parts will address widespread concern over the declining state of Toronto’s school buildings. Panelists and speakers will explore
- Causes of deterioration and the growing repair backlog, funding challenges, and policies on maintenance
- The TDSB’s unique architectural stock
- The City of Toronto’s process of managing culturally significant school buildings when they no longer fit community needs
- Alternatives to demolition for school buildings deemed ‘irredeemable,’ including adaptive reuse, restoration, and renovation
Continental breakfast and lunch will be provided.
View the complete event agenda and program here.
- Alex Bozikovic, Globe and Mail
- Jessie Gamarra, Carleton University
- Carol Kleinfeldt, Kleinfeldt Mychajlowycz Architects
- Li Koo, Toronto-Danforth Liberal Party Candidate
- Mary MacDonald, City of Toronto
- Josh Matlow, City Councillor Ward 22
- Robert Moffatt, RBM Marketing Communications
- Marco Polo, Ryerson University
- Steve Shaw, TDSB
- Alex Speigel, Windmill Developments
- Peter Tabuns, Toronto-Danforth NDP Party Candidate
- Krista Wylie, Fix Our Schools
- TBD, Progressive Conservative Party Representative
This lecture is eligible for OAA Structured Con.Ed. learning credits.